Sunday, January 1, 2012

ALBUM REVIEW: 4 CORNERS OF PROSPECTIVE: LKC & #KCRYDERS REVIEW - NIGHT & DAY PT.3



Continuing our "Night + Day" album review series, here's words from the mighty comical and ever practical  #LKCTeamMember - Albert! ( Follow him on twitter @koolkidincash93)
To view the first album review by #LKCTeamMember Cat click here. To view the second album review by #KCRyder #LKCStreetTeam & KCStreetTeamMember Jane click here.

View Albert's "Night &Day" review after the cut





LKC & #KCRYDERS REVIEW - NIGHT & DAY PT.3
 (Via @koolkidincash93)

                                                       


The “Kool” review on “Night & Day” from yours truly! I will be reviewing this album as a whole and my take on it along with the references/influences on the album. Just to make it clear, I have some judgment and constructive criticism on this album. Enjoy!

1.    Hotline- The song is produced by none other than VicPark and it’s a cool opening track for the album. It kind of reminds me of Usher’s “DJ’s Got Us Fallin’ in Love Again.” And the lyrics are very crazy, sexy and cool but it falls short a bit and doesn’t leave much to the imagination. But then again, this is 1 of the only songs off of the “Night” side that I like. (3/5)

2.    Table Dancer- 1st single off of the new album. At first, I hated it but then I began tolerating it eventually. The video was just not doing it for me and it just wasn’t making me feel excited at first this era. Even though, it’s her highest selling single to date, it did not show evolution or growth as an artist. The R&B remix was a LOT better and that should’ve been released instead of the “original.” (2/5)

3.    Set U Free- 2nd single off of the album. Song was written by chart-topper Taio Cruz and the song was originally done by an artist by the name of Danny Saucedo and it was off of his album “Set Your Body Free.” Taio offered the song to Keshia and the song is more fitting to her than Danny’s version. The song was loosely covered and Keshia made the song her own. The song has a lot of 80’s influences and very reminiscent to Michael and Janet Jackson. The song has a few dull moments but it’s a nice song to play at the beach or at a party. (2/5)

4.    Edit, Cut & Delete U- Honestly, I truly hate this song. It could have been 10x better and this song should’ve been sung by a 10 year old, NOT a 23 year old woman. Should have never been a single in the first place.(0/5)

5.    Victorious- This is a very nice song and has a very uplifting message. Whenever there is a trial, there will be a triumph and like KC says “I’m flyin’ home victorious!” (4/5)

6.    I Hope U Cry- This song leaked back in 2009 and RUMORED to be on the soundtrack to the Aaliyah movie (In which Keshia was offered the role.) but like I said it was a rumor. There are a certain songs that you shouldn’t touch and “I Hope U Cry” was one of them. Keshia really overdid it with the ad-libs and screaming vocals. A nice, revamped version but I prefer the leaked version. (3.7/5)

7.    Shooting Star- I don’t like this song either. Nice message but it would have been ten times better if it were R&B, NOT dance! (1/5)

8.    Hang My Jersey Up (featuring P. Reign) - AMAZING song, hands down. It is the best song of her career in my opinion and it should have been the first single like originally planned. Drake would have made his bars more believable than P. Reign’s but nevertheless, Reign did a solid job to his contribution. The song reminds me of Aaliyah’s “We Need a Resolution” meets Brandy’s “Let’s Talk about Our Love.” Classic Keshia, that is all. (5/5)

9.    Pillow Talk- VERY Prince-influenced musically but lyrically, it doesn’t leave much to the imagination and is too long. It would have been better if she cut it off by 4:00. (3.8/5)

10.    I Miss U- It’s okay but it’s not a bad song, it is very filler. (2.9/5)

11.    Hush- GREAT song. You feel Keshia as a vocalist and she executes it all vocally, lyrically & musically. Very Leona Lewis & Celine Dion-esque. (4.8/5)

12.    Test Drive- Viral single. The video was very confusing and not innovative but the song wasn’t. I LOVE this song and it resonates, VicPark really made Keshia stand out in this song and sounds amazing. (5/5)

13.    If U Say- BEST song off of the album. This song better be a single with a solid video. “If U Say” shows growth and promise as an artist. (5/5)

14.    Ghost Love- A nice closing to the album and Keshia nails it. This has potential to be a single and could be played on any radio station (Urban, Adult Contemporary, Pop, etc.) crosses all borders. (5/5)

    FINAL THOUGHTS

I thought this album was decent but could have been a lot better. The main reason why I say this album is what it is to me is because it’s not an R&B album. I understand that artists like to “experiment” in their music but there is line between being eclectic & selling out. If KC just threw in an R&B element to those dance songs i.e. heavier bass line, layered background vocals, heavy synthesizers, keyboards, R&B arrangements, NO auto-tune, etc. I would have gone cuckoo bananas over this album but it’s just decent. It’s like Keshia’s trying to compete with her peers like Rihanna & Katy Perry. 

Songs like Table Dancer, Set U Free, etc. sound like leftover pizza from those “artists,” I didn’t get excited until I heard the Day/R&B side of the album. Some of the songs like “Hang My Jersey Up”, “If U Say”, “Hush” and “Ghost Love” have that crossover appeal but still have that R&B, mellow feel to it; it is very classic Keshia. Those should have been singles NOT that dance nonsense but I am just relieved that 9 out of the 14 tracks are R&B. Hopefully, album #4 will be true to Keshia and who she is an artist which is R&B and soul music. I rate this album a 7.3/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails